db-derby-dev mailing list archives

From Bryan Pendleton <bpendleton.de...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: Google Summer of Code
Date Wed, 17 Mar 2010 14:47:46 GMT
Ян Программист wrote:
>  >>  * No actual compatibility tests for Oracle, SQL Server
>  >>
>  >>   I imagine that there are some existing compatibility test suites
> out here. It would be interesting to understand Derby's compatibility
> with other databases. This sounds like a task >on which a GSoC student
> could make good progress.
>  >
>  >    Thanks,
>  >    -Rick
>  >
> Well, some useful compatibility features to focus on:

I think your observations are quite interesting, and highlight some areas
where compatibility problems may arise.

But I think we are specifically interested in the idea of compatibility
*tests* which we could use to demonstrate compatibility with Oracle, SQL Server,
MySQL, Postgres, etc.

Are there existing compatibility test suites out there? Can you research this?

What would it take to run those tests against a variety of implementations,
including both Derby and others?

How could we automate that process so that we could add it to our test
suites and keep it up to date over time?

We have some existing information about Derby compatibility in our wiki:
  - http://wiki.apache.org/db-derby/SQLvsDerbyFeatures
  - http://wiki.apache.org/db-derby/JDBCSupport
  - http://wiki.apache.org/db-derby/PlatformTestsDerby

What would we need to do in order to be able to write a similar page which
discusses Derby compatibility with, e.g., MySQL and/or Postgres? That is,
what tests do we have to run to gather this information?

One place to start would be to see if either MySQL or Postgres have existing
SQL-compliance or JDBC-compliance suites that we could run against Derby to
compare the results.

thanks,

bryan