db-derby-dev mailing list archives

From Bryan Pendleton <bpendleton.de...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: Google Summer of Code
Date Wed, 17 Mar 2010 14:29:25 GMT
Denis Weerasiri wrote:
> I am Denis Weerasiri, a final year student from University of Moratuwa,
> Sri Lanka. I am hoping to participate in *GSOC* 2010 program. This would
> be my second *GSOC*. Last year I worked in and successfully completed
> Apache ODE project titled "Web-based BPEL debugger for Apache ODE". [1]
>
> I would be willing to work on Apache Derby project, under derby tooling
> this year if you are planning put any ideas forward. I have experience
> on developing applications in databases, data mining[2] etc.
> For last two weeks I went through some architecture and user
> documentations and submitted few patches as well.
> So are there any project ideas being considered as yet for Derby tooling
> this year?

Hi Denis,

I think it would be great to see some work in the area of tools for helping
with the analysis of complex query execution. Quite frequently, users of
Derby have trouble comprehending (a) how their query is being translated
into a query plan by the optimizer, and (b) what the execution-time resource
usage of the various parts of the query is.

There are low-level features in Derby which capture this information and
record it, such as logQueryPlan, and the XPLAIN tables, but there is a lot
of opportunity for designing higher-level tools which can process the query
plan and execution statistics information and present it in a more
comprehensible fashion.

thanks,

bryan