db-derby-dev mailing list archives

From Bryan Pendleton <bpendleton.de...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: Google Summer of Code
Date Tue, 16 Mar 2010 15:06:50 GMT
> Ян Программист wrote:
>> * No actual compatibility tests for Oracle, SQL Server
>>

>>     I imagine that there are some existing compatibility test suites
>>     out here. It would be interesting to understand Derby's
>>     compatibility with other databases. This sounds like a task on
>>     which a GSoC student could make good progress.
>>
>>     Thanks,
>>     -Rick
>>
>> Can you recommend a mentor for such task?

Hi John,

This does sound like an excellent idea for a Google Summer of Code project.

I have created issue DERBY-4586 in the Jira system to record the initial
thoughts on this (https://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/DERBY-4586)

I would be willing to serve as a mentor for a GSoC intern who was working
on this project.

If you are interested in pursuing this, I think the next step would be to
develop the initial seed of an idea into a more fully-fleshed-out project
proposal. For example:
  - do some research to try to locate existing compatibility test suites
    that we could start with
  - identify likely areas of behavior difference where test suites could
    expose interesting issues
  - sketch out the mechanics of how we'd use these test suites to verify
    Derby compatibility behaviors in an ongoing fashion (that is, how can
    we automate the compatibility testing, how can we interpret the results, etc.)

The best place to record these ideas is in the JIRA issue itself; you should
assign the issue to yourself to indicate that you are working on it.

thanks,

bryan