db-derby-dev mailing list archives

From Rick Hillegas <Richard.Hille...@Sun.COM>
Subject Re: Google Summer of Code
Date Mon, 15 Mar 2010 14:41:59 GMT
Hi John,

I think you have proposed a lot of very interesting projects. Here are
my comments on some of them. However, I'm afraid that I cannot commit
the time this year to be an offical GSoC mentor.

Ян Программист wrote:

>     * There is no storage engine porting available(JavaDB storage
> engines are not compatible for non-Java databases)

This sounds very useful athough the devil is in the details. Are you
thinking about mapping the Store api
(org.apache.derby.iapi.store.access.*) to some smaller api which is
easier to port?

>     * Custom column types, serialization and indexing support for
> those custom types – nothing serious at this moment

10.6 introduces custom types (see DERBY-651). There is substantial
support in Derby for being able to compare and index types which
implement java.lang.Comparable--however, that support is disabled right
now. Enabling that support would be a smallish, focussed, useful task.
>     * No actual compatibility tests for Oracle, SQL Server

I imagine that there are some existing compatibility test suites out
here. It would be interesting to understand Derby's compatibility with
other databases. This sounds like a task on which a GSoC student could
make good progress.

Thanks,
-Rick