db-derby-dev mailing list archives

From Rick Hillegas <Richard.Hille...@Sun.COM>
Subject Re: Scripting Derby?
Date Mon, 15 Mar 2010 14:09:35 GMT
Hi Sylvain and Bryan,

My $0.02 inline...

Bryan Pendleton wrote:
> Hello Sylvain, thank you very much for all the contributions you've been
> making to Derby. The work on IJ has been quite interesting to watch.
>
>> could be alternatives. For example, by using the Java scripting API,
>> we might be able to plug some scripting support in Derby itself -
>> with the additional benefit of supporting "well known" language.
>
> Is it correct that you are suggesting an alternate approach along the
> lines of https://scripting.dev.java.net/, using a language such as
> Ruby, Groovy, or JavaScript?
>
> If so, then yes, I think such an approach would be very promising and
> very powerful.
>
> I would prefer to see us spend less time building our own scripting
> language,
> and more time instead integrating with the variety of extraordinarily
> sophisticated scripting languages that already exist.

I think that this is a promising approach. I am reluctant to add a lot
of new language to ij. At the end of the day, this is what I miss in ij:

1) The ability to parameterize a block of SQL statements

2) The ability to loop through a block of SQL statements

If this can be accomplished outside of ij in some other scripting
language (including old-fashioned scripting languages like shells),
great. If this can be accomplished by adding a small new capability to
ij (like parameters), also great. My concern about the proposed new
looping language is that it feels unbounded, kind of like pulling on a
ball of yarn.

Thanks for pushing this discussion forward.

Cheers,
-Rick