db-derby-dev mailing list archives

From Bryan Pendleton <bpendleton.de...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: Scripting Derby?
Date Sat, 13 Mar 2010 16:12:37 GMT
Hello Sylvain, thank you very much for all the contributions you've been
making to Derby. The work on IJ has been quite interesting to watch.

> could be alternatives. For example, by using the Java scripting API, we
> might be able to plug some scripting support in Derby itself - with the
> additional benefit of supporting "well known" language.

Is it correct that you are suggesting an alternate approach along the
lines of https://scripting.dev.java.net/, using a language such as
Ruby, Groovy, or JavaScript?

If so, then yes, I think such an approach would be very promising and very powerful.

I would prefer to see us spend less time building our own scripting language,
and more time instead integrating with the variety of extraordinarily
sophisticated scripting languages that already exist.

thanks,

bryan