db-derby-dev mailing list archives

From Kathey Marsden <kmarsdende...@sbcglobal.net>
Subject Re: Google Summer of Code
Date Sat, 13 Mar 2010 01:43:19 GMT
Tiago Espinha wrote:
> Dear all,
>
> My name is Tiago Espinha and I participated in last year's edition of
> Google Summer of Code. I've decided to participate again this year

Welcome back and thanks for pulling DERBY-728 out of the freezer.   It
is an often requested improvement.   I put the labels "mentor" and
"gsoc" on the issue which is this year's  process for introducing it as
a google summer of code idea.  For GSOC you are not limited to the ideas
marked in Jira, but can introduce your own idea as long as you find a
mentor willing to pick it up.

I have always been a bit skeptical of code generation tools.  It has
been well over a decade since I have even looked at one, but my
experience was that  while great for prototyping, they just did not
produce maintainable or properly commented code and were not practical
when working on a mature existing code base like Derby,  but am willing
to be proven wrong.

As for something meaty for your thesis, DERBY-472 Full text indexing and
search is forever popular.  DERBY-11 is a more SQL focussed project but
should be a challenge.  DERBY-672 user defined aggregates might be
interesting too, but I don't know how much work it is exactly.   I think
there may be some pending XML work too.   Unfortunately though I can't
step forward as a mentor on any of these and hope you will  work on
DERBY-728 this summer and start on a feature of some sort in the fall.

Kathey