db-derby-dev mailing list archives

From Kristian Waagan <Kristian.Waa...@Sun.COM>
Subject Re: Dev doc tree purged
Date Thu, 10 Dec 2009 11:13:39 GMT
Bryan Pendleton wrote:
>> one of the processes publish broken docs. The cron job I have written
>> has some simple sanity checks (like verifying that all the expected
>> PDFs and *-single.html files are there), but it's far from foolproof.
>
> Thanks for working on this, Kristian.
>
> With the recent build problems that we had (DERBY-1194, DERBY-4153,
> DERBY-3518),
> it seemed, at least in my environment, that the build scripts were
> successfully
> producing the *-single.html files, but the build still was broken due
> to the
> invalid tags.
>
> I tried looking through the DITA-provided build scripts to see if we
> could specify something on the <pipeline> task that told it to handle
> errors as build-fatal, but didn't immediately find anything.
>
> So it seems that we may need to post-process the build output ourselves
> in order to detect errors such as the ones I introduced in my recent
> commits.
>
> Is it possible for your tool to search the output for the string
>
>    [pipeline] [Error]
>
> and then treat any occurences of that as a fatal error?

Hi Bryan,

I have tried to implement what you suggested. It's hard to tell if it is
really working yet, because the errors in the build have been corrected.
In any case, I instructed ant to write the output to file instead of the
console. I then grep for the string indicating an error and fail the
build if one or more occurrences are found.

You can see the script(s) at work here:
http://hudson.zones.apache.org/hudson/view/Derby/job/Derby-docs/28/console

Since I instructed ant to log to file instead of stdout, the output
isn't included in the Hudson console output anymore. I have however
compressed the file and made it available as an artifact. Btw,
compressing it reduces the size from a little under 9 MB to around 160 KB :)

PS! We could also have requested yet another plugin to be installed as
well, but let's see how this works out first.

Regards,
--
Kristian