db-derby-dev mailing list archives

From Shazin Sadakath <shazin.sadak...@gmail.com>
Subject Regarding Stored Procedures
Date Tue, 08 Dec 2009 05:36:28 GMT
Hi All,

I have been working on an idea that lets you create Stored Procedures using
languages other than Java with a perspective of Apache Derby as a Network
Server. I tried this by using Sun Java Scripting API for JRE 1.6+ and Apache
BSF http://jakarta.apache.org/bsf/ for JRE 1.4+.

This has certain advantages when it comes to compiled java stored routines.

1. It is dynamic.
2. Requires no configuration of classpath.
3. Requires no use of SQLJ.INSTALL_JAR and SQLJ.REPLACE_JAR.
4. Very easy to maintain
5. Allows the use of Sun Java Runtime Library via Object Binding.
6. Supports JavaScript, Jython, Dynamic Java and many more scripting
languages. https://scripting.dev.java.net/
7. No need of introducing a new SQL/PSM grammar to the current SQLParser.

Just an idea in its very early stage. Would like to hear your responses.

Thanks,
Shazin