db-derby-dev mailing list archives

From Knut Anders Hatlen <Knut.Hat...@Sun.COM>
Subject Making SQLToJUnit smarter (was: Re: svn commit: r835114 ... DropTableTest.java)
Date Thu, 12 Nov 2009 09:56:41 GMT
Bryan Pendleton <bpendleton@amberpoint.com> writes:

>> Author: kahatlen
>> Simplified DropTableTest
>>
>>   - use more helper methods from BaseJDBCTestCase
>>
>>   - changed instance variables into local variables to allow garbage
>>     collection to reclaim space when the test has completed
>
> Hi Knut, thanks for cleaning these up.
>
> Do you think we can teach SQLToJUnit to do some of these enhancements?
>
> We don't have that many IJ script tests left to convert, but still, if we
> can make the conversion tool smarter...

Hi Bryan,

I think we could make it smarter, but I'm not sure if it's worth the
effort given that most of the changes I made were just tiny nits that
don't really make any difference (like using the shorthand commit()
instead of getConnection().commit()).

The only change I felt was needed, was to use local variables instead of
instance variables, since otherwise the memory these objects occupy
isn't freed until the test runner is destroyed. But it looks as if the
tool already does this correctly, and the instance variables were added
in the manual step where the single big test case was split into many
smaller test cases.

--
Knut Anders