db-derby-dev mailing list archives

From Knut Anders Hatlen <Knut.Hat...@Sun.COM>
Subject Re: Confusing error message on boot?
Date Tue, 17 Nov 2009 17:35:05 GMT
Kristian Waagan <Kristian.Waagan@Sun.COM> writes:

> Hi,
>
> Working on the drop database feature (DERBY-4428), I noticed this:
>
> ij> connect 'jdbc:derby:memory:test;shutdown=true;drop=true';
> ERROR XJ048: Conflicting boot attributes specified: shutdown, drop
> ij> connect 'jdbc:derby:memory:test;shutdown=true;create=true';
> ERROR XJ004: Database 'memory:test' not found.
>

> The error XJ0048 is new (I'm considering adding it).
> However, note that if you specify both shutdown and create you're told
> that the database doesn't exist. What happens is that the shutdown
> attribute takes precedence over the create attribute.
>
> Should we change this to show something like XJ048?

That sounds like a more reasonable response, at least.

> Can we change it without causing trouble for existing applications?

The potential incompatibility here, if I understand correctly, is that
if the database 'test' is booted when that command is issued, the
command currently shuts down the database, whereas with the suggested
change it reports that the attributes are in conflict and leaves the
database booted?

The combination of shutdown=true and create=true doesn't make much sense
(unless it meant create a database and shut it down cleanly, which it
doesn't). So if we haven't documented anywhere that shutdown takes
precedence over create, I wouldn't think it's very problematic to
disallow the combination.

--
Knut Anders