db-derby-dev mailing list archives

From Rick Hillegas <Richard.Hille...@Sun.COM>
Subject Re: Confusing error message on boot?
Date Tue, 17 Nov 2009 17:34:46 GMT
Kristian Waagan wrote:
> Hi,
>
> Working on the drop database feature (DERBY-4428), I noticed this:
>
> ij> connect 'jdbc:derby:memory:test;shutdown=true;drop=true';
> ERROR XJ048: Conflicting boot attributes specified: shutdown, drop
> ij> connect 'jdbc:derby:memory:test;shutdown=true;create=true';
> ERROR XJ004: Database 'memory:test' not found.
>

> The error XJ0048 is new (I'm considering adding it).
> However, note that if you specify both shutdown and create you're told
> that the database doesn't exist. What happens is that the shutdown
> attribute takes precedence over the create attribute.
>
> Should we change this to show something like XJ048?
> Can we change it without causing trouble for existing applications?

Hi Kristian,

I suppose that shutdown+create might arise when using DataSources or
when using DriverManager.getConnection(String url, Properties info).
Such applications might need to be changed to account for the new error
message. I don't think we guarantee the stability of this part of our
api--SQLStates in Derby do change from release to release. That may be
wrong of us, but that's how we've been operating for a long time.

I think that the risk is low and the cleanup you are proposing is useful.

My $0.02,
-Rick