db-derby-dev mailing list archives

From Kristian Waagan <Kristian.Waa...@Sun.COM>
Subject Blocking new connection requests in Derby
Date Fri, 06 Nov 2009 13:46:51 GMT
Hello,

When working on the feature of dropping databases (in-memory primarily),
it became apparent that the possibility to temporarily block incoming
connection attempts would be very useful.

I have started on a spec for this feature. Today I was supposed to
continue working on it, but got lost in code trying to write a prototype
to verify some claims instead :)
I'm choosing to post it now anyway to see if I get any feedback on
whether this feature would be useful in other scenarios. If so, there
may be new requirements not included in the current spec.
Verification of what I have written about authentication and
authorization is also definitely required.

If I get positive feedback, I can create a Jira and post a prototype
shortly after. This should allow us to make progress after our initial
discussion here. If you want to have a quick look at the test I threw at
Derby (currently doesn't work because all the required code hasn't been
posted, specifically the drop database code), see the class
DropWhileConnectingTest in patch 1a attached to DERBY-4436.

As a side note, most of my work so far has been with the embedded
driver. I suspect getting the network client to behave as well as the
embedded driver may be harder.

Regards,
--
Kristian