db-derby-dev mailing list archives

From Bryan Pendleton <bpendle...@amberpoint.com>
Subject Are there any SQL statements that simply aren't supported in a procedure?
Date Tue, 03 Nov 2009 21:44:43 GMT
As part of https://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/DERBY-3062 I'm trying
to clarify the doc regarding the behavior of the

   { NO SQL | MODIFIES SQL DATA | CONTAINS SQL | READS SQL DATA }

clause. I've cleaned the text up somewhat, and will post a patch shortly,
but some of the text seems to imply that there exist certain SQL
statements which simply can't be executed from a procedure, no matter
what level of SQL support is asserted by the above clause:

    MODIFIES SQL DATA
        Indicates that the stored procedure can execute any SQL statement
        except statements that are not supported in stored procedures.

I tried looking around in code and tests (particularly LangProceduresTest)
but wasn't able to figure out a conclusive answer:

   Are there any SQL statements that are illegal in a procedure which
   specifies MODIFIES SQL DATA?

thanks,

bryan