On Tue, Sep 29, 2009 at 11:33 AM, Dag H. Wanvik <Dag.Wanvik@sun.com> wrote:
Dag.Wanvik@Sun.COM (Dag H. Wanvik) writes:

> So if I understand this correctly; if users are defined only on the
> database level (but BUILTIN user authentication is defined at the
> system level), it will still be possible to shut down a Derby system
> *without* supplying credentials?

Actually not. I tested this, and there needs to be defined at least
one user at the system level for a shutdown to work. So a more
precise wording would be:

"If you have enabled Derby's BUILTIN user authentication at the system
level (for example, by setting the property

     derby.connection.requireAuthentication=true

in the derby.properties file), you will need to specify credentials
(e.g. username and password) in order to shut down a Derby system
*and* the supplied username/password must also be defined at the
system level."

That works .