db-derby-dev mailing list archives

From Bryan Pendleton <bpendle...@amberpoint.com>
Subject Re: Need a help on DERBY-3892
Date Sun, 20 Sep 2009 23:28:26 GMT
Hi Eranda,

I'm afraid I don't know of any good high-level documentation
about this part of the system.

I think maybe this is a good place for us to start; we should
start by trying to improve the documentation about how this
part of the system behaves.

The Derby wiki is a good place to store this documentation, so
we should try to write some information there.

I think that we should document two things:

1) The statement cache: what it is, what it does, how it is
    implemented, etc.

2) GenericStatement.prepMinion: what it does, and how it works.
    This information is probably better recorded as javadoc.

The other question you're asking is: how to reliably cause
GenericStatement.prepMinion to get run, in order to set a
breakpoint there and step through the code.

I'm not sure how to do this. Sometimes stepping through this
code is really tricky, because you only get one chance to do it,
the first time the statement is compiled (after that, the statement
is already compiled, and is found in the cache, and so it doesn't
get re-compiled).

I'll try to work out a script that reliably lets me step through
this code and then I'll let you know.

bryan