db-derby-dev mailing list archives

From Kristian Waagan <Kristian.Waa...@Sun.COM>
Subject Re: Publishing the Derby documentation
Date Fri, 04 Sep 2009 18:46:07 GMT
Kim Haase wrote:
> Thanks, Kristian --
>
> Given my elementary knowledge of shell scripts this looks fine ...
>
> One problem is that Myrna's build has already picked up my change --
> COALESCE is in the Ref Manual already -- so probably the script won't
> run Monday after all, if it is checking for changes. We might need to
> wait for the next doc commit to make sure it works.

Actually, the Hudson build hasn't picked it up yet, since it was only
run once a week.
I confirmed that the reference documentation in dev/ has COALESCE, where
as the one in dev_test/ doesn't. The latest build happened early on the
3rd, the commit came late on the 3rd.

Regarding Myrna's build, we can discuss what to do about it.
I'm sure we can find a way to allow both the "build systems" to work
together. If Myrna is okay with continuing to run her build, there's no
point in disabling it just because we now have a different way to do it.
The one thing we should agree on, is how to tell if a build is newer
than the existing one. This can be a checksum of something (this only
work for certain scenarios), a revision number (preferably of the last
change) or something else.

A last alternative is to just keep overwriting the docs, even if the
same build is copied over the existing one (i.e. a newer build date but
no changes to the content).

As I have said earlier, my goal is to put a (easily automated) process
in place that is more transparent to the community. For instance, if
Myrna has to stop her build job for some reason, the community should
still be able to post new docs when changes are made. I think what
remains to achieve this, is to write a wiki page that describes the
process and provides the information needed for a Derby committer to
become a documentation publisher :)
I'll try to get this done, but it may be a while before everything is
ready. Then someone can test out the instructions.

Cheers,
--
Kristian