db-derby-dev mailing list archives

From Myrna van Lunteren <m.v.lunte...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: Derby Test Framework and New dblook Test
Date Mon, 17 Aug 2009 12:14:03 GMT
On Sun, Aug 16, 2009 at 10:37 PM, Hiranya
Jayathilaka<hiranya911@gmail.com> wrote:
> Hi Folks,
>
> I'm in the middle of writing the new tests for dblook. When going through
> the existing dblook tests I realized that they are not junit tests. Some of
> the test classes have main methods. So I was wondering how should I organize
> the new tests. Should they be written as junit tests or should they be
> similar to the existing tests?
>
> Also is there any documentation on the design and architecture of the Derby
> test framework? How do the test classes with main methods get invoked by the
> framework (just curious ;))?

Hi Hiranya,

When derby was first contributed, there were no junit tests at all.
Gradually we've been replacing and converting the 'old harness tests'
to junit tests. All new tests should be junit tests. For information
about the conversion efforts, see:
http://wiki.apache.org/db-derby/KillDerbyTestHarness (and related
pages).

The old harness is living in
.../java/testing/org/apache/derbyTesting/functionTests/harness. It's
documented in .../java/testing/README.html. The main methods you saw
are kicked off using a Runtime.exec() call.

Myrna