db-derby-dev mailing list archives

Site index · List index
Message view « Date » · « Thread »
Top « Date » · « Thread »
From Myrna van Lunteren <m.v.lunte...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: DERBY-4331 and the 10.5.2.0 release
Date Tue, 04 Aug 2009 19:24:08 GMT
It's a tough call. To give my 2c:
- clearly DERBY-4331 needs to be fixed asap.
- DERBY-3926 also needs to be fixed.
- we need a new release. We voted and approved of 10.5.2.0, and there
are fixes in it that people need. Now what do we do with it?

I think there are 2 main questions:
1. Is the fix for DERBY-3926 "bad"? i.e. It clearly does fix a
problem, and another problem shows up since that code change, but did
it not take things "far enough", did it expose a bug that was
previously masked, or was it altogether the wrong thing to do?
2. Do we care for a release without DERBY-3926?

I personally don't care for a release that has either DERBY-3926 or
DERBY-4331 in it.
It seems to me we don't know the answer to question 1. yet.

In the mean time, we have a release that we voted on, approved, that's
been put on the mirrors, but not yet announced. And a release manager
who's going on vacation. (Thanks Rick for volunteering to pick it up.
I can help also).

As we don't know the answer to question 1, and I don't care for a
release with either problem, but we've gone almost to the end of the
release process, I lean towards finishing the publishing work for
10.5.2.0, but with an explicit warning that we've found  a serious
regression, and are working to make another follow up release that
fixes both issues.
If someone is then desperate for one of the other fixes to try it out
- hey, perhaps their application is having the type of queries that
got fixed by the current fix for DERBY-3926.
Other folks will choose to hold off.

On top of the fact that I don't personally care for a release with
either problem, there's work involved in backing out DERBY-3926 (and,
it's been backported all the way to 10.1, so it should be backed out
from the other branches too?), and I'd suggest we postpone that at
least until we know what's going on.

Myrna

Mime
View raw message