db-derby-dev mailing list archives

From Hiranya Jayathilaka <hiranya...@gmail.com>
Subject Improved dblook Implementation: Progress Update
Date Sun, 02 Aug 2009 16:59:37 GMT
Hi Folks,

I'm happy to inform you that I have implemented support for manipulating
roles in dblook. Therefore now all the roles are created at the begining of
the generated script and setting and unsetting of roles take place
interleaved with object creation. Granting of privileges to roles also
happen interleaved with object creation. My special thank goes out to Rick
and Dag for all the help in implementing this feature.

Also I recently realized that I haven't implemented support for synonyms in
the improved dblook implementation. I have added this feature and so with
that the implementation phase of my project comes to an end. I'm currently
testing my code with various sample databases and so far all the results
have been satisfactory. I will soon send in a complete patch of all my
workings along with some sample scripts generated by dblook for some early
feedback. From the results I've witnessed so far I have a gut feeling that
new dblook implementation is accurate and working well for a great extent.
Therefore even if we come across a bug I don't think we'll have to do any
major code changes.

In the next few days I'll be further refactoring my code, writing javadocs
and developing the necessary test cases to test the improved dblook
implementation. There are some Java 5 features in the code (for-each loops
etc) that I need to get rid of too. The test approach was discussed in a
different thread a few days back. My intention is to finish writing the
tests by the end of GSoC program.

I will keep you up-to-date on my progress.

Thanks,
Hiranya