db-derby-dev mailing list archives

Site index · List index
Message view « Date » · « Thread »
Top « Date » · « Thread »
From Rick Hillegas <Richard.Hille...@Sun.COM>
Subject Re: DERBY-4331 and the 10.5.2.0 release
Date Tue, 04 Aug 2009 17:05:30 GMT
Hi Kathey,

Thanks for release-managing 10.5.2.0 and for proposing a next step.

Another option would be:

1) You can give 10.5.2.0 to your users who need the fix to DERBY-3962

2) But remove 10.5.2.0 from the Apache website

3) Back out the fix for DERBY-3962 and spin a 10.5.2.1 RC

3) Continue to work on 10.5.3, which would fix DERBY-3962 and DERBY-4331.

Vetting for the RC could be expedited and take, say, a week.

It seems to me that the reactions to this email thread were mostly 
negative. I don't know that any of us can weigh whether DERBY-3962 is 
worse than DERBY-4331 or vice-versa. My sense is that DERBY-3962 is not 
really fixed and the problem was simply shifted elsewhere--I do not 
believe this regression would have been allowed if it had been noticed 
earlier.

Thanks,
-Rick

Kathey Marsden wrote:
> Mike Matrigali wrote:
>> Kathey Marsden wrote:
>>> Knut identified a wrong results regression in 10.5.2.0, DERBY-4331.  
>>> I normally would not want to make a release with a known wrong 
>>> results regression, but am not quite sure what to do with 10.5.2.0.  
>>> The vote closed and passed. The release has been posted to the 
>>> website, but no announcement has been made.  Should we continue with 
>>> the release or try to abort and make  another release candidate?  
> 10.5.2.0 fixes 8 regression fixes  that we know some users have 
> already picked up.
> https://issues.apache.org/jira/secure/IssueNavigator.jspa?reset=true&&pid=10594&customfield_12310200=Regression&fixfor=12314116&resolution=1&sorter/field=issuekey&sorter/order=DESC

>
>
> It also has many other useful fixes.
>
> If we restart 10.5.2,  my guess is it will take about 4 weeks. Two  to 
> fix DERBY-4331 and two to restart the vote and test cycle.  The fix 
> may take longer since of course we don't know much yet.
>
> If we post 10.5.2.0 and start immediately on a 10.5.3.0, we could 
> hopefully get it out in about 6 weeks. Four weeks for bug fixing and 
> two for the vote and testing.
>
> I think a stern warning on the 10.5.2.0 will help mitigate any 
> problems from DERBY-4331 and allow users to make their own choice and 
> possibly benefit from the fixes in 10.5.2.0.  Mike mentioned that 
> perhaps there will be a workaround for DERBY-4331, to add extra 
> columns to the order by. If that is the case we could post that too.
>
> I think we have educated users who given the proper information can 
> decide for themselves  whether to wait for 10.5.3 if given sufficient 
> information. If I hear no objections I will continue with the 10.5.2.0 
> release process this afternoon.
>
> Kathey
>
>


Mime
View raw message