db-derby-dev mailing list archives

From Kathey Marsden <kmarsdende...@sbcglobal.net>
Subject Re: DERBY-4331 and the 10.5.2.0 release
Date Tue, 04 Aug 2009 16:38:00 GMT
Mike Matrigali wrote:
> Kathey Marsden wrote:
>> Knut identified a wrong results regression in 10.5.2.0, DERBY-4331.
>> I normally would not want to make a release with a known wrong
>> results regression, but am not quite sure what to do with 10.5.2.0.
>> The vote closed and passed. The release has been posted to the
>> website, but no announcement has been made.  Should we continue with
>> the release or try to abort and make  another release candidate?
10.5.2.0 fixes 8 regression fixes  that we know some users have already
picked up.
https://issues.apache.org/jira/secure/IssueNavigator.jspa?reset=true&&pid=10594&customfield_12310200=Regression&fixfor=12314116&resolution=1&sorter/field=issuekey&sorter/order=DESC

It also has many other useful fixes.

If we restart 10.5.2,  my guess is it will take about 4 weeks. Two  to
fix DERBY-4331 and two to restart the vote and test cycle.  The fix may
take longer since of course we don't know much yet.

If we post 10.5.2.0 and start immediately on a 10.5.3.0, we could
hopefully get it out in about 6 weeks. Four weeks for bug fixing and two
for the vote and testing.

I think a stern warning on the 10.5.2.0 will help mitigate any problems
from DERBY-4331 and allow users to make their own choice and possibly
benefit from the fixes in 10.5.2.0.  Mike mentioned that perhaps there
will be a workaround for DERBY-4331, to add extra columns to the order
by. If that is the case we could post that too.

I think we have educated users who given the proper information can
decide for themselves  whether to wait for 10.5.3 if given sufficient
information. If I hear no objections I will continue with the 10.5.2.0
release process this afternoon.

Kathey