db-derby-dev mailing list archives

From Mike Matrigali <mikem_...@sbcglobal.net>
Subject Re: DERBY-4331 and the 10.5.2.0 release
Date Mon, 03 Aug 2009 17:42:56 GMT
Kathey Marsden wrote:
> Knut identified a wrong results regression in 10.5.2.0, DERBY-4331.  I
> normally would not want to make a release with a known wrong results
> regression, but am not quite sure what to do with 10.5.2.0.  The vote
> closed and passed. The release has been posted to the website, but no
> announcement has been made.  Should we continue with the release or try
> to abort and make  another release candidate?  If  we do abort, I won't
> be able to be release manager as I am going out on vacation for a few
> weeks on August 15.
>
> Another issue is that DERBY-3926 which introduced the regression was not
> listed in the release notes because it was still open.  One possible
> option is to add a release note to that issue now and manually update
> the release notes on the website (not in the distribution) to  include
> DERBY-3926 and warn about DERBY-4331.  Then start working on another
> 10.5 release to be released fairly soon (a couple months).
>
> Thoughts?
>
> Kathey

Since the vote passed, I lean toward posting the release with a warning
about 4331 - and also think we should fast track another release on top
of it if we can get someone to fix 4331.  A lot of people reviewed 3926
and it has been out there for awhile so I real rather not back it out as
that also will result in queries with wrong sort order.  I may change
my opinion if we can identify that 3926 was a bad fix.

I can volunteer some immediate time looking at the bad query plans and
trying to come up with some simpler test cases.  Once I get set up I
will also post a workaround if the usual thing works, which is to add
some columns to the order by clause as I assume the problem is bad
sort avoidance rather than an actual sorter problem.