db-derby-dev mailing list archives

From Kristian Waagan <Kristian.Waa...@Sun.COM>
Subject Re: DERBY-4331 and the release
Date Mon, 03 Aug 2009 13:59:13 GMT
Rick Hillegas wrote:
> As I see it, data corruptions are the worst kind of database bug,
> followed closely by wrong results. We have a precedent for pulling
> releases from our download site and I recommend that we pull the
> release because of this regression. I think we should do one
> of the following also:
> 1) Produce a RC with a fix for this regression or
> 2) Produce a 10.5.3 release in the autumn
> I vote for option (1) and am willing to serve as release manager for
> the remainder of 10.5.2.

+1 from me.

I'd like to see a maintenance release as soon as possible, but I think
we are best served if we fix the mentioned bug (DERBY-4331) and also
spend some time investigating the error reports from users on
The reason I'm not in favor of (2), is that I believe we have some
important fixes in place already, and that some of our users would
benefit from them.

Thank you for volunteering to drive the release process, Rick.

> Regards,
> -Rick
> Kathey Marsden wrote:
>> Knut identified a wrong results regression in, DERBY-4331.
>> I normally would not want to make a release with a known wrong
>> results regression, but am not quite sure what to do with
>> The vote closed and passed. The release has been posted to the
>> website, but no announcement has been made.  Should we continue with
>> the release or try to abort and make  another release candidate?  If
>> we do abort, I won't be able to be release manager as I am going out
>> on vacation for a few weeks on August 15.
>> Another issue is that DERBY-3926 which introduced the regression was
>> not listed in the release notes because it was still open.  One
>> possible option is to add a release note to that issue now and
>> manually update the release notes on the website (not in the
>> distribution) to  include DERBY-3926 and warn about DERBY-4331.  Then
>> start working on another 10.5 release to be released fairly soon (a
>> couple months).
>> Thoughts?
>> Kathey

View raw message