db-derby-dev mailing list archives

From "Stephan van Loendersloot (LIST)" <step...@republika.nl>
Subject Re: DERBY-4331 and the 10.5.2.0 release
Date Mon, 03 Aug 2009 01:09:47 GMT
Hello people,

It's been a while since I've shown some appearance here... however, I'd
favour an abort of the release. We use Derby in production and have
applied a couple of patches in order to keep up with performance and new
features... so far so good.

We've anxiously been waiting for a few bugfixes, some of which I'd liked
to have fixed myself if time had permitted me... though I haven't been
that fortunate.

This 'simple' (not meant to disrespect anything of the great work on
Derby!)  case of ordering can lead to disastrous results on certain
kinds of applications. We *did* choose Derby as our main RDBMS after a
lot of tests and comparisons to other open source and commercial databases.

A lot of people using Derby are most likely unaware that, as Knut Anders
alreay mentioned: the chosen plan for the optimizer *may* give the
correct results when SYSCS_UTIL.SYSCS_UPDATE_STATISTICS is applied.
Besides, try to do that on a database in production with millions of
records and a size of an arbitrary number of Gb's. Phew.

I don't think I need to explain any further, why wrong ordering results
are really inexcusable.

Please abort and re-release asap. Some fixes (f.e. CLOB-sorting
(DERBY-4245) by Kristian) are really needed.

Thanks for reading... and if and when I've got some spare time, I'll
again dedicate some of it to making Derby even better!

I *really* beg your pardon if this sounds like a rant. It isn't.

    -Stephan.