db-derby-dev mailing list archives

Site index · List index
Message view « Date » · « Thread »
Top « Date » · « Thread »
From "Myrna van Lunteren (JIRA)" <j...@apache.org>
Subject [jira] Updated: (DERBY-4213) sttest needs to be adjusted to not run out of disk space
Date Thu, 20 Aug 2009 23:16:14 GMT

     [ https://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/DERBY-4213?page=com.atlassian.jira.plugin.system.issuetabpanels:all-tabpanel
]

Myrna van Lunteren updated DERBY-4213:
--------------------------------------

    Attachment: DERBY-4213.diff1

I'm attaching a patch which tries to address the growth of the database in sttest by the following:
- adjust the compress() method with syntax that works (using SYSCS_UTIL.SYSCS_INPLACE_COMPRESS_TABLE)
and hang it in the test.
   The method Sttest.compress wasn't used before.
   As I didn't think it mattered much where this was called, but I didn't want it very often,
I hung this right after a Memcheck.
- adjust the delete code to pick rows by doing select id from Datatypes where id >= <randomnumber>
and if there is no suitable row in the database, try with a different random number.
   Before, it was using the exact random number, and it was adding the resulting id value
to the list, resulting in lots of attempts to delete a row with id '0'.
  Now, the likelyhood of finding a row is much better, and so more rows actually get deleted.

With this code, the database stays fairly small in my test runs (granted, I built with both
targetmin and targetmax smaller).

Some comments:
- I also updated the utils/CompressTable with working syntax for in-place-compress, however,
as far as I can tell, this class, nor its methods, are used anywhere.
- Sometimes, (especially with smaller targetmin/max) the code that builds a list of rows to
be deleted, will end up with a number of identical ids to be deleted. I figured this was ok,
it's still better than hoping for a random number to exist in the database.
- I noticed various minor inconsistencies that I don't intend to address at this time, for
instance:
	- there are (still) some unused objects floating around.
	- sometimes, the message 'hit targetmax with <rowcount> ...' has a null date. I didn't
look into this as it seemed unrelated to my changes.
	
Review is welcome, but I plan to commit this fairly soon...If there are no comments on this
patch, I'll commit it tomorrow and backport to 10.5.

> sttest needs to be adjusted to not run out of disk space
> --------------------------------------------------------
>
>                 Key: DERBY-4213
>                 URL: https://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/DERBY-4213
>             Project: Derby
>          Issue Type: Improvement
>          Components: Test
>    Affects Versions: 10.5.1.1, 10.6.0.0
>            Reporter: Myrna van Lunteren
>            Assignee: Myrna van Lunteren
>            Priority: Minor
>         Attachments: DERBY-4213.diff1
>
>
> After eliminating some NullPointerExceptions for 10.5.1.1 (which I noticed with 10.5.1.0
testing but had also been present with 10.4.2.0) the sttest runs out of disk space before
all threads are done. 
> Before, with the NPEs, the test would run its course in a day or two.
> The test should be adjusted, with perhaps more deletes, so that it will no longer run
out of disk space.

-- 
This message is automatically generated by JIRA.
-
You can reply to this email to add a comment to the issue online.


Mime
View raw message