db-derby-dev mailing list archives

From Dag.Wan...@Sun.COM (Dag H. Wanvik)
Subject Re: Question regarding DERBY-4208 Parameters ? with OFFSET and/or FETCH
Date Fri, 10 Jul 2009 16:39:30 GMT

I think the mitigating circumstance here is that Rick says that this
is an *omission* on part of the SQL standards committee. Naturally,
they might change the syntax entirely for 2011, or choose *not* to
allow this anyway, but that hardly seems likely. The OFFSET, FETCH
FIRST/NEXT syntax is now fixed in three places (at least: the
standard, PostgresQL and DB2). To me it seems a very low risk to take;
we *are* supporting the standard syntax: In addition we are fixing the
committee's omission in expectation that this will be included.

I guess this all boils down how strictly we interpret our charter of
following the standard. I worry our users will see our barring this as
being overly careful at the cost of usability.

Anyway, I'm out for 2 weeks, so this won't make 10.5.2 in any case ;)

Dag