db-derby-dev mailing list archives

From Hiranya Jayathilaka <hiranya...@gmail.com>
Subject [GSoC] Automated Testing for Improved dblook Implementation
Date Sun, 05 Jul 2009 16:51:54 GMT
Hi Folks,

Now that I've reached the final stages of my project to improve dblook I
think it's time I start thinking about writing some automated tests for the
new and improved dblook implementation. Dag came up with the idea of getting
dblook to generate a script against some reference database and then run the
script to create a copy of the reference database. Then the copy will be
compared with the reference database to verify that all persistent objects
like tables and views are properly in place. Eventhough it sounds like lot
of work it's certainly doable and I think this is a great way to test
dblook. We will probably have to modify the script generated by dblook by
filling in the passwords. That should also take place in the automated
environment.

I would like to know what the community thinks about this testing strategy.
Also I would appreciate if you can provide your own ideas on this issue.

Thanks,
Hiranya Jayathilaka