db-derby-dev mailing list archives

From Rick Hillegas <Richard.Hille...@Sun.COM>
Subject Re: Roles Support for dblook
Date Mon, 20 Jul 2009 16:15:42 GMT
Hiranya Jayathilaka wrote:
> One more question.
>
> We initially intended to use a dependency graph to capture the
> dependencies among different roles. But looking at the SYSROLES table
> and the existing role handling code I'm not sure whether we really
> need that. Isn't creating all the roles in one swoop and then
> performing all the grants (also recorded in SYSROLES table)
> sufficient? I can't seem to realize how this will break any
> inter-dependencies among roles.
Hi Hiranya,

I think that the creating of roles and granting of roles to roles can
all be done at once. It is the granting of privileges to the roles that
has to be interleaved with the creation of other objects. The issues are
discussed on this jira: https://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/DERBY-3877

Hope this helps,
-Rick