db-derby-dev mailing list archives

From Kathey Marsden <kmarsdende...@sbcglobal.net>
Subject Re: tar issue in ant snapshot target
Date Thu, 16 Jul 2009 16:44:29 GMT
Knut Anders Hatlen wrote:
> Hi Kathey,
>
> Since it's unlikely that we'll be able to shorten the path names before
> the release (or ever?), we'd probably have to state on the download page
> that GNU tar (or a tar that handles the GNU format) should be used for
> all the tarballs. Currently, we only state that for the src tarball.
>
> If we do that, we should also add longfile="gnu" to all the tar tasks in
> the build script to suppress the warnings. (The default is to use the
> GNU format and additionally emit a warning, so no need to change that
> before the release.)

Thanks Knut and everyone for the input.

I will go ahead with the artifacts I posted.  I did the Windows run with
the bin distribution and saw only DERBY-4201.  I will kick off linux
now.  One other thing I noticed is that in the tarball that we will
actually be posting, the lengths do not seem to be greater than 100.  It
was only in the snapshot build that this was  a problem.  I got no
errors with tar xvf on SUSE Linux using /bin/tar.  I am not sure why I
got the @Longlink warnings on mks tar though so will go ahead and post
that users should use gnu tar, since we have no checks in-place that
prevent us from exceeding the limit.

release  path:
db-derby-10.5.2.0-bin/javadoc/jdbc4/org/apache/derby/vti/package-summary.html
snapshot  path:
db-derby-snapshot-debug-10.5.2.0-794445/javadoc/publishedapi/jdbc4/org/apache/derby/vti/package-summary.html

Thanks

Kathey