db-derby-dev mailing list archives

From Kathey Marsden <kmarsdende...@sbcglobal.net>
Subject Re: Question regarding DERBY-4208 Parameters ? with OFFSET and/or FETCH
Date Fri, 10 Jul 2009 14:47:36 GMT
Lance Andersen wrote:
>> 3) Does this create a slippery slope for violation of our standards
>> based charter?
>
> I do not see how.  Every database vendor has their own extensions
> which are above and beyond standards....

Such a  liberal approach to extensions would certainly require a change
to our charter which specifically states migration to other databases as
a reason for our standards adherence.

> When JDBC 4.1 completes the escape syntax will be there as we closed
> on this ages ago in the EG.  Regardless of the fact, it is Escape
> syntax to provide a standard way for JDBC apps to utilize the varying
> functionality in the ways different DBs provide support for this feature.
If this doesn't require interface changes and if the JDBC committee can
publish the syntax  and guarantee it will be there and not be changed
for 4.1, I think it would be ok to implement this now at least for the
embedded driver. (The client might be harder).  We could just leave it
out of our documentation and have a Wiki pointer to the JDBC spec draft.

Kathey