db-derby-dev mailing list archives

From Kathey Marsden <kmarsdende...@sbcglobal.net>
Subject Re: Question regarding DERBY-4208 Parameters ? with OFFSET and/or FETCH
Date Thu, 09 Jul 2009 21:27:10 GMT
Rick Hillegas wrote:
> I think that this discussion has gotten seriously off-track. It is the
> intent of the standard that the offset and window length values be
> parameterized. This is clear from the standard language
Hmmm, I thought the problem was that the standard did not allow for
parameters and that is why we were having this discussion. Dag said:

On the contra side, we have the fact that dynamic arguments are not allowed by the SQL standard
for this construct, at least not yet.

I have to admit I haven't had time to research the standard myself, but
am a bit confused. Can you resolve your statement with Dag's?

> I believe this is a serious usability defect of our OFFSET/FETCH
> implementation. As it stands today, you can only scroll one of these
> windows forward by sacrificing the performance benefits of prepared
> statements. It would be a shame if this feature had to remain unusable
> until the next rev of the standard in 2011. If the committee approves
> some other language at that time, then we can implement that extension.

I agree this would potentially improve performance but don't see it as a
bug.  Hopefully the statement cache will help.
> If people wish to veto this proposal, then I would ask them to propose
> an alternative solution which makes this feature usable and which they
> believe fits more comfortably within the intention of the standard.

Hopefully it won't come down to a veto. Hopefully we can reach consensus
in the community.

Kathey