db-derby-dev mailing list archives

Site index · List index
Message view « Date » · « Thread »
Top « Date » · « Thread »
From "Lily Wei (JIRA)" <j...@apache.org>
Subject [jira] Updated: (DERBY-4166) improvements to the mailjdbc test
Date Tue, 28 Jul 2009 05:14:14 GMT

     [ https://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/DERBY-4166?page=com.atlassian.jira.plugin.system.issuetabpanels:all-tabpanel
]

Lily Wei updated DERBY-4166:
----------------------------

    Attachment: DERBY-4166-schemachange4.diff

I was hoping rollback will take care of the deadlock problem. However, with rollback, close
connection and reopen connection, the mailjdbc embedded test still has deadlock error after
16 hours. I fix some Rn.nextInt issue for attach_id on line 200 for DbTasks.java. for DERBY-4166-schemachange4.diff.
When insert is taking longer than 10 seconds, the tests will run into the situation of deadlock.
I think we are very close too. I am still thinking doing more on mailjdbc side to avoid deadlock
situation.  Interrupt Refresh thread still happens, InsertMail method did not fail.

> improvements to the mailjdbc test
> ---------------------------------
>
>                 Key: DERBY-4166
>                 URL: https://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/DERBY-4166
>             Project: Derby
>          Issue Type: Improvement
>          Components: Test
>    Affects Versions: 10.6.0.0
>            Reporter: Kathey Marsden
>            Priority: Minor
>         Attachments: DERBY-4166-databasesize.diff, Derby-4166-samedb.diff, DERBY-4166-schemachange.diff,
DERBY-4166-schemachange2.diff, DERBY-4166-schemachange3.diff, DERBY-4166-schemachange4.diff,
Derby-4166.diff
>
>
> When recently working with the mailjdbc system test org.apache.derbyTesting.system.mailjdbc
on DERBY-4152 I noticed some potential improvements that might be good for the test.  We should
probably hold off on these improvements however until the root cause of DERBY-4152 is established,
however, so we don't muddy the waters with that issue by changing the test.
> 1) DbTasks.moveToFolders may throw an IllegalArgumentException.
>   There is a line:  message_id = Rn.nextInt(count - 1);
>   if count is 1 the argument to nextInt() might be 0 which is not allowed.  I hit this
once but lost the stack trace, but it is apparent that when there is only one row in the table
this can occur.
>  
> 2) Allow/implement multiple attachments per message and cleanup DbTasks.insertMail()
logic.
>    - Remove the attach_id column from INBOX to allow multiple attachments.
>    -Make the attachment insert part of the message for loop in insertMail.
>    Use getGeneratedKeys() to get the id of the inserted message.
>    When attachments are inserted, insert (1-4) attachments and give them a corresponding
attach_id from 1-4.
> This will allow for removal of the select statements used to determine id and attach_id.
 I'll file another issue for these improvements if folks agree that they are sensible.
> A detailed description of the current implementation of insertMail is described at https://issues.apache.org/jira/secure/attachment/12405685/insertMailSummary.txt
> 3) DbTasks.databaseSize calculation is wrong. It doesn't match du -sk. The method does
not recurse into subdirectories and includes the length() on directory files which is undefined
accourding to the file.length() javadoc.

-- 
This message is automatically generated by JIRA.
-
You can reply to this email to add a comment to the issue online.


Mime
View raw message