db-derby-dev mailing list archives

From Knut Anders Hatlen <Knut.Hat...@Sun.COM>
Subject Re: Help with build issue
Date Mon, 08 Jun 2009 23:07:04 GMT
Lily Wei <lilywei@yahoo.com> writes:

> Hi:
>      I am trying to build trunk with sun JDK 1.6, ANT 1.7.1 and junit 3.8.2.
>
>      I am getting error like:
> c:\derby\10.5\build.xml:203: Don't know how to set java15compile.classpath,
> java
> 16compile.classpath using this environment:
> java.vendor = Sun Microsystems Inc.
> java.home = c:\sun\sdk\jdk\jre
> java.version = 1.6.0_13
> os.name = Windows Vista
> j14lib = null
> j15lib = null
> j16lib = null
> Please consult BUILDING.html for instructions on how to set the
> compiler-classpa
> th properties.

Hi Lily,

It looks like some of the magic in the build script has problems
understanding your environment. That's strange, since it has detected
that you're using Java 1.6.0 so there's no reason why it shouldn't be
able to set java16compile.classpath. Have you installed the full JDK and
not only the JRE? Do you see any other warnings/errors printed before
this one? You may get more information about what's going on if you set
the printCompilerProperties flag, like this:

  ant -DprintCompilerProperties=true

>      After setting ant.properties under my user directionry like:
> bash-3.1$ cat ant.properties
> jdk16=c:/sun/sdk/jdk
> j16lib=${jdk16}/jre/lib
> j14lib=${jdk16}/jre/lib
> j15lib=${jdk16}/jre/lib

If you set any of the j1[456]lib properties, they must all point to a
JDK with the corresponding version number. In your ant.properties all of
them point to a JDK 6 installation, so the build script mistakenly
thinks that no special magic is needed for j14lib and j15lib. That's
probably why you see the XPath errors.

Since Derby's build script is supposed to do the right thing with the
classpath if it only finds JDK 6, you may have more luck if you try
again with only this in ant.properties:

jdk16=c:/sun/sdk/jdk
j16lib=${jdk16}/jre/lib

But with your setup this shold have been detected automatically.

--
Knut Anders