db-derby-dev mailing list archives

From Knut Anders Hatlen <Knut.Hat...@Sun.COM>
Subject Re: Issue with JUnit - 0 tests?
Date Sat, 06 Jun 2009 07:21:39 GMT
Tiago Espinha <tiago@espinhas.net> writes:

> Hello Knut,
>
> Well, I do think this test should be ran regardless of the locale since it's a
> generic test that configures ports for the client/server through different
> methods (derby.properties and -p switch) and then tries to ping the server.
> Hardly something bound to a specific locale.
>
> However, this probably must be done with caution and I think I know why this
> locale check is in place. Basically some asserts have hardcoded strings to
> check for a failed ping. Like:
>
> assertFailedPing(pingCmd1, "Could not connect to Derby Network Server");
>
> Although, you said that we could set the default locale to US and then switch
> it back at the end of the test. That probably will also fix this caveat.
>
> Do you think I should include this in my derby.tests.port patch for DERBY-4217
> or should I create an issue for it?

Hi Tiago,

I don't think it should be part of the DERBY-4217 since it's not really
the same issue. Feel free to go ahead and file a new one. We can discuss
there what's the best way to make the test run in all locales, whether
it's by temporarily changing the default locale or by making the asserts
locale insensitive. I haven't looked at the test yet, so I haven't made
up my mind.

Thanks,

--
Knut Anders