db-derby-dev mailing list archives

From Dag.Wan...@Sun.COM (Dag H. Wanvik)
Subject Usage of "Test" component in JIRA
Date Tue, 30 Jun 2009 13:27:27 GMT
Dag.Wanvik@Sun.COM (Dag H. Wanvik) writes:

> This left many issues without component. I have added components for
> open issues..

I have added component "Test" (as an a priori component) for those
issues which had no other component when the "Regression Test Failure"
was removed. But this started me thinking and I have a question on the
recommended usage of the "Test" component.

Normally, when we fix a Derby bug, we add a new test case to the
regression tests. This means that a patch for an issue will touch
both, say, the "Store" component and the "Test" component.

I don't think we have had a clear practice on whether to mark such
issues with the additional "Test" component or not. Since the focus of
the issue would be the bug or modification in Derby itself, the "Test"
component is often not given. Do we want to tighten this up and
recommend to use the "Test" component in addition if the test code is
at all modified by the patch? Or would it be better to reserve the
"Test" component usage for cases where the focus is test or test
infrastructure?

Thanks,
Dag