db-derby-dev mailing list archives

From Tiago Espinha <ti...@espinhas.net>
Subject Derby setup screencast
Date Tue, 30 Jun 2009 22:16:46 GMT
Hello Lily,

Thank you for your support. It's really nice to see that the effort is
appreciated :-)

Please have a look at the comments inline:

On Tue, Jun 30, 2009 at 5:17 AM, Lily Wei <lilywei@yahoo.com> wrote:

> Hi Tiago:
>
>      As a new comer, I really appreciated the video. It is clear and easy
> to follow. Thank you so much for sharing this with us.
>
>     I haven’t read the web site yet so it can be very possible that I am
> asking something you already put it in your web site. If that is the case,
> just pardon my 2 cents.

I mentioned in the video "a website". This website would however be Derby's.
Like, on the same page that we would put the video, we'd also put those
links and additional info for the users. So in reality, this doesn't exist
yet.

>      I do have few comments in turn of video.
>
>     Software and Hardware requirements:
>
> 1.       You mention in video that you are using junit 3.8.2. I am using
> 3.8.1. Is it okay to use 3.8.1? I did try junit4.6 and it did not work that
> well.  Can we specify in web site that what version is okay other than
> 3.8.2? Can we list the version for all the require software?

To be honest, here I was just following what the wiki page says somewhere;
it says that we should use version 3.8.2 but I'm guessing that other
versions work as well. However, for compatibility's sake, I think we should
all use 3.8.2. Otherwise you might end up using something that was
deprecated in 3.8.2 and while a change that you made works for you, it won't
work for those using 3.8.2.

As for the rest of the software (Eclipse, Ant, svn, etc), there's no real
requirement in the versions right now - it would be only necessary to
specifically point out the versions if a new one is released that breaks
backwards compatibility. I guess it doesn't hurt to list on the website the
current versions though.

 2.       For branch 10.4 or less, Derby users have to use JDK1.5 and JDK1.4
> for branch 10.3.  Can we state information like this in the web site too?
> JDK 1.4 will not be supported after certain period of time. What information
> should we say to Derby user regarding that?

We can also mention this on the website indeed. At this point I don't think
JDK 1.4 is supported anymore. Sun's website reports that its end-of-life was
on October 2008. Still, it seems like we still need it and I don't think Sun
will stop having it available to download any time soon (although let me say
that downloading that JDK is very painful... I don't like having to fill out
a form each time I have to download it).

So as for information to the user, perhaps we'd give none as this isn't
really of much concern I think. Even the mentioning of other branches might
be a bit of information overload. I'm guessing that when someone arrives at
Derby they'll be dealing with the trunk first for a while.

>  3.       After trunk source code has been copy to local machine, is there
> a way for user to verify everything has been copied?

Technically, at the end of the svn checkout it should say "at revision
xxxxxx". The thing in the screencast was that I had to do it in two takes,
and when I made the second I no longer had the output from the svn checkout.
People can still do svn update and svn stat to see if everything's in order.
This could also be mentioned on the website or in a possible redo of the
screencast.

>  4.       Thank you for showing how to set up JAVA_HOME and ANT_HOME and
> verify the installation by typing java and ant. I think these are very good
> points for new comer.
>
> Compiling the code:
>
> 1.       After ‘ant clobber’, I often need to manually remove jars/sane/*.
> This only happens after successfully compile the code. However, can we give
> use some hint on doing this?

Sure, this has actually happened to me before. It would be nice to
investigate further into it though. Maybe it is a file permission issue?

>  Eclipse:
>
> 1.       I did not see in the video in turn of how to setup svn plug ins
> with Eclipse. Can we have some steps about that?
>
> 2.       If users really want to build Derby using Eclipse, is it possible
> for us to show them how to do that too. I know it is not recommended with
> ant. Coming from SAP, my intuition is always to build with Eclipse. I would
> love to see some information about that.

This is possible but I defend that this belongs in a separate screencast. We
have two Netbeans projects in tools/ide but these are outdated since the
latest Netbeans version is 6.5. We also have the following wiki page:
http://wiki.apache.org/db-derby/BuildingDerby

Here we have the instructions to get Subclipse working with Derby's code,
but I was never able to get it to work properly (I also didn't try that
hard). Perhaps based on this I could make another screencast just on how to
get Subclipse up and running, and with that done we could also add an
Eclipse project to the tools/ide folder.

>  3.       If I already create my project, how I can move JRE System
> Library to the top?

When that's the case, you right-click on the project, go to Properties and
under Java Build Path you should have the "Order and Export" tab. Perhaps
this can also be mentioned on the website?

>       Testing:
>
> 1.       Can we have information on the web site in turn of how to
> manually copy junit.jar?

I'm not sure I understand your question here. I copied it manually just by
drag & drop from the zip file.

>  2.       Can we spend a little time on how to read the result after
> finish running Suites.All? What to expect and what one should look for to
> know nothing fail? i.e. No NulPointerException in the derby.log

My metric to know that nothing failed is the output I get in the command
line. If no failures or errors are mentioned, I think it is safe to say that
everything completed properly. This probably can also be mentioned in the
video.

>       For each section, can we have FAQ pages for each subject? In
> general, I found FAQ very helpful to new comer with certain questions in
> mind.
>
>       I am writing this as a new comer of Derby. Again, thank you so much
> for doing the video. It is such a good idea.

I think we can post the FAQ pages alongside with the video, so that if the
viewers still have questions that they didn't get answers to, they can go
along and read the pages.