db-derby-dev mailing list archives

From Tiago Espinha <ti...@espinhas.net>
Subject Derby setup screencast
Date Mon, 29 Jun 2009 19:06:59 GMT
Hello everyone,

I took the initiative of creating a screencast to help with the setup of the
Derby environment. In my experience and from what I have been able to see,
the learning curve for getting started with development on Derby is a bit
steep, so I thought that the community could benefit from what seems to be
the fashion nowadays: a screencast. It's usually easier and more interesting
to be taught rather than reading page-loads of information so that was my
motivation to do the said screencast.

Here's the link to it: http://www.vimeo.com/5376690

Note that you do have the option of going full-screen (so that you can see
all the details), and it's on Vimeo for two reasons: it allows me to upload
HD content and allows me to upload quite big videos. Vimeo seems to be a bit
commercial though, so in the long run perhaps it'd be a good idea if this
was self-hosted.

Anyway, after talking with Kathey on IRC, she appreciated the idea and asked
me to post it to the list, so that it could eventually get posted on the
website. At this point I'd like to get feedback on the video itself; the
things that you think I should change and redo and whether you agree that
this should be posted up on the website.

I welcome suggestions and critics, so please bring them on.

In the future we could eventually have more screencasts, like for instance
how to setup Derby in an embedded environment. But that would be for further
along the path. Right now, this one video is what I have.

Cheers,
Tiago