db-derby-dev mailing list archives

From Rick Hillegas <Richard.Hille...@Sun.COM>
Subject Re: Hudson continuous build for Derby trunk
Date Thu, 18 Jun 2009 14:48:29 GMT
Kristian Waagan wrote:
>> Rick Hillegas wrote:
>>> Hi Kristian,
>>>
>>> I have lost track of where this issue is. Are you happy with
>>> solution (1) or do you still need a solaris zone on an Apache
>>> machine? If you still need a zone, can you give me some
>>> justification--I think that I will be asked why (1) isn't
>>> sufficient. It's ok to say "I don't know, I'm running some
>>> experiments, I'll get back to you." I just want to make sure that
>>> I'm not letting this issue fall through the cracks.
>>
>> Hi Rick,
>>
>> The reason I haven't replied yet, is that I don't know how well
>> suited Hudson (or one of the other CI tools) is for building and
>> publishing the manuals.
>>
>> If I get feedback on how the build/publish process of the manuals are
>> carried out (specifically if it follows the process outlined on the
>> Derby web page), I may be able to pursue solution (1).
>>
>> I suggest you ignore my request for a separate Solaris zone for a
>> little while. I just requested a Hudson account for Derby
>> (https://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/INFRA-2090).
>
> I have now gotten the Hudson account, and I have created a job
> building Derby:
> http://hudson.zones.apache.org/hudson/job/Derby-trunk/
>
> It is polling the svn repos (trunk only) every 15 minutes. Since I
> just created it, I'm the only one getting the mails so far. I'd like
> the community to consider the following two questions:
> - Should the notification mails go to derby-dev?
>   My take on this is yes. A mail will be sent when a build breaks, and
> when a series of  broken builds start working again.
> - Should a separate mail be sent to the committer(s) breaking the build?
>   This will send a mail to all committers having committed a change in
> the 15 minutes window.
>
> It should be trivial to start building 10.5 as well, but it may be a
> tad harder for the older versions where we don't have the automatic
> Java compiler configuration.
>
> I'll think some more about building the docs through Hudson. I guess
> building it is simple enough, but the problem Andrew described has to
> be solved somehow - how do we get the docs to the web server in a
> secure manner?
Just to be clear, I think this is the issue you are raising: In order to
push the built docs from Hudson to our website, we need to supply the
Apache login credentials of a Derby committer. It would be a serious
security lapse to hard-wire those credentials into a public script. The
following solutions occur to me:

1) Don't port the docs-build to Hudson. Instead, continue to build the
nightly docs on some committer's private machine.

Downside: The committer's machine may crash and the docs may remain
stale for a long time until someone nudges the committer to reboot the
machine.

2) Port the docs-build to Hudson but don't automatically push the docs
to the website. Instead, periodically, some committer should manually
push the docs to the website.

Downside: The website is refreshed only sporadically.

3) Do (2) but also provide a script so that any committer can create a
cron job which automatically pushes the built docs from Hudson to the
website.

Downside: Don't know what happens if multiple committers set up these
cron jobs and collide.