db-derby-dev mailing list archives

From Kristian Waagan <Kristian.Waa...@Sun.COM>
Subject Hudson continuous build for Derby trunk (was: Re: Getting ASF machine resources for Apache Derby)
Date Thu, 18 Jun 2009 12:40:34 GMT
Kristian Waagan wrote:
> Rick Hillegas wrote:
>> Hi Kristian,
>>
>> I have lost track of where this issue is. Are you happy with solution
>> (1) or do you still need a solaris zone on an Apache machine? If you
>> still need a zone, can you give me some justification--I think that I
>> will be asked why (1) isn't sufficient. It's ok to say "I don't know,
>> I'm running some experiments, I'll get back to you." I just want to
>> make sure that I'm not letting this issue fall through the cracks.
>
> Hi Rick,
>
> The reason I haven't replied yet, is that I don't know how well suited
> Hudson (or one of the other CI tools) is for building and publishing
> the manuals.
>
> If I get feedback on how the build/publish process of the manuals are
> carried out (specifically if it follows the process outlined on the
> Derby web page), I may be able to pursue solution (1).
>
> I suggest you ignore my request for a separate Solaris zone for a
> little while. I just requested a Hudson account for Derby
> (https://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/INFRA-2090).

I have now gotten the Hudson account, and I have created a job building
Derby:
http://hudson.zones.apache.org/hudson/job/Derby-trunk/

It is polling the svn repos (trunk only) every 15 minutes. Since I just
created it, I'm the only one getting the mails so far. I'd like the
community to consider the following two questions:
 - Should the notification mails go to derby-dev?
   My take on this is yes. A mail will be sent when a build breaks, and
when a series of  broken builds start working again.
 - Should a separate mail be sent to the committer(s) breaking the build?
   This will send a mail to all committers having committed a change in
the 15 minutes window.

It should be trivial to start building 10.5 as well, but it may be a tad
harder for the older versions where we don't have the automatic Java
compiler configuration.

I'll think some more about building the docs through Hudson. I guess
building it is simple enough, but the problem Andrew described has to be
solved somehow - how do we get the docs to the web server in a secure
manner?

--
Kristian