db-derby-dev mailing list archives

From Rick Hillegas <Richard.Hille...@Sun.COM>
Subject Re: Jira field definitions
Date Wed, 17 Jun 2009 18:03:33 GMT
Kathey Marsden wrote:
> Rick Hillegas wrote:
>>>
>> This is what I intend to do during the triage:
>>
>> 1) Sanity check the Issue Type field.
>>
>> 2) Sanity check and mark all applicable check boxes.
>>
>> Those fields plus the user votes will give me the information I need
>> to guide my bug fixing.
> I guess that would bring me back to Urgency then.  Dag said:
>
> "Doc: This is the field used for dynamically reflecting scheduling
> opinions and decisions; when a release manager is appointed, typically
> a release manager will "own" this field to reflect how she sees how
> issues should be prioritized for fixing prior to a release
> ("releasability"). Presumably, no release will be made if there is a
> "blocker" left. This field also takes likelihood of users hitting a
> bug into account; Priority a.k.a. Severity does not.  After triage, no
>
> bug should have the "none" urgency.
>
> "
>

> It seems reasonable that the release manager would be able to use this
> field to mark issues as Blocker or maybe even Urgent, but it seems it
> would be a bit cumbersome to rank all of the issues with his/her
> personal opinion and as you say individuals will use whatever method
> they like to prioritize their bug fixing for non-blocker issues.
You're the next release manager. If you want to publish some
easy-to-evaluate rules for filling-in this field, I'm happy to
sanity-check this field too when I triage my lump of JIRAs. Something,
for instance, which mapped check boxes to Urgency values, like this:

Data Corruption => Blocker
Crash = > Blocker
Wrong query result + Seen in production + has no workaround => Blocker
Performance + Seen in production + has no workaround => Urgent
Security + Seen in production + has no workaround => Urgent
Everything else => Normal

An enterprising soul might even be able to write a script which updates
the Urgency field given a set of rules like those above.

Thanks,
-Rick