db-derby-dev mailing list archives

From Rick Hillegas <Richard.Hille...@Sun.COM>
Subject Re: Jira field definitions
Date Wed, 17 Jun 2009 16:07:11 GMT
Hi Dag,

Thanks for pulling this together. +1 to the changes which Kathey
suggested. I believe you are recommending the following:

1) To reword some fields on our JIRA form and to move some checkboxes
around. I think these changes are well defined.

2) To remove some values for the Issue Type field (I think this is the
only instance where you are proposing to remove information). I believe
you have said that you will bulk re-assign all "New Feature" values to
"Improvement". What are you proposing to do with the "Wish" and "Test"
issues?

3) To update the wiki page which explains how to fill-in a JIRA.

Once you have specified what to do with the lingering questions in (2),
I think that you will have a well-defined proposal for a community vote.
I regard this as a procedural issue so I think that the rules of
engagement would be majority vote by PMC members:

This looks like a good step in the right direction. Once the vote closes
and the form is changed, I look forward to helping triage the open bugs.

One comment below...

Thanks,
-Rick

Dag H. Wanvik wrote:

> Doc: This is technical severity and not really a priority (see Urgency
> field for that property).  Think of these values as severity 1 (trivial;
> least severe) to severity 5 (most severe: blocker). Typically, this
> field will not change unless more information about the bug becomes
> available from investigation or from customers. Its value is normally
> not changed by release and scheduling decisions. Not that users
> reporting bugs are liable to interpret this field as priority for
> themselves, so developers should be careful to explain why we change
> the value when we do. The value should reflect how hard is is to live
> with Derby ("hassle") as long as this bug exists. Some key questions in
> when trying to set this value (reflecting approximate decreasing severity)

I think you mean to say "Note that users..."