db-derby-dev mailing list archives

From Rick Hillegas <Richard.Hille...@Sun.COM>
Subject Re: Getting ASF machine resources for Apache Derby
Date Mon, 08 Jun 2009 13:51:58 GMT
Hi Kristian,

Some comments inline...

Kristian Waagan wrote:
> Hello,
>
> I'd like to investigate whether the Apache Derby project can get some
> ASF machine resources assigned, because I feel we have some tasks that
> could be better performed in a project environment (as opposed to a
> user environment).
I agree that moving our continuous integration environment onto
community machines would be a good idea. That includes the
commit-triggered build/test cycles, nightly build/test cycles, and doc
builds.
> One of the good things about a project environment, is that more
> people have the opportunity to fix problems and get involved. It is
> not clear to me yet whether access to the resource should be limited
> to PMC members, committers or a different group of contributers.
If this work is scoped to the Derby project, it makes sense to me to
limit access to Derby committers.

> The initial issue I'd like to solve is building and publishing the
> manuals. This process is currently pretty "closed" (i.e., just a few
> persons can monitor and fix problems with the process).
+1

> Other things on the list of possible tasks:
> - Clover (needs license, ASF might have one we can use)
>   Code coverage and intelligent test selection on commits.
>   A full run of the test suite on a weekly basis?
> - Hudson
>   Continuous builds. Note that Ole is doing a great job of this today
> and I'm not suggesting stopping that effort!
>   I'm not sure if we can expect to run the full test suite, but maybe
> we can run a small subset of the tests, and it looks exciting to
> combine Clover and Hudson.
I think you're suggesting that Ole migrate the build/test framework from
Sun machines onto a community machine?

> Let me spend a few sentences on why I'm suggesting Clover.
> Clover is a code coverage tool. It uses source level instrumentation
> to get the information it needs when running tests. Compilation is
> handled through the regular project ant scripts (i.e., that will take
> care of using the correct compiler etc).
> As far as I'm aware, it can answer questions like [1]:
> - what is our overall code coverage?
> - which test(s) contribute to the coverage of this code?
> - which tests should be rerun first when we change this part of the
> code? (i.e. which tests are most likely to fail after a code change)
> - which areas of the code should be better tested? (complexity/size
> and missing coverage)
Clover sounds like a good tool. But I'd recommend separating the Clover
discussion into a separate email thread.

> I think we may be able to get a Solaris zone to perform one or more of
> these tasks.
> The first step would involve at least the following steps:
> 1) Obtain a Solaris zone.
> 2) Agree on who should have access to the zone (PMC chair will be the
> initial owner).
I don't understand why the PMC chair needs to be so heavily involved. I
can promise you that this PMC chair will pass the responsibility onto
more knowledgeable people in a New York minute!

Thanks,
-Rick