db-derby-dev mailing list archives

From Kristian Waagan <Kristian.Waa...@Sun.COM>
Subject Getting ASF machine resources for Apache Derby
Date Mon, 08 Jun 2009 09:44:15 GMT
Hello,

I'd like to investigate whether the Apache Derby project can get some
ASF machine resources assigned, because I feel we have some tasks that
could be better performed in a project environment (as opposed to a user
environment).
One of the good things about a project environment, is that more people
have the opportunity to fix problems and get involved. It is not clear
to me yet whether access to the resource should be limited to PMC
members, committers or a different group of contributers.

The initial issue I'd like to solve is building and publishing the
manuals. This process is currently pretty "closed" (i.e., just a few
persons can monitor and fix problems with the process).

Other things on the list of possible tasks:
 - Clover (needs license, ASF might have one we can use)
   Code coverage and intelligent test selection on commits.
   A full run of the test suite on a weekly basis?
 - Hudson
   Continuous builds. Note that Ole is doing a great job of this today
and I'm not suggesting stopping that effort!
   I'm not sure if we can expect to run the full test suite, but maybe
we can run a small subset of the tests, and it looks exciting to combine
Clover and Hudson.

Let me spend a few sentences on why I'm suggesting Clover.
Clover is a code coverage tool. It uses source level instrumentation to
get the information it needs when running tests. Compilation is handled
through the regular project ant scripts (i.e., that will take care of
using the correct compiler etc).
As far as I'm aware, it can answer questions like [1]:
 - what is our overall code coverage?
 - which test(s) contribute to the coverage of this code?
 - which tests should be rerun first when we change this part of the
code? (i.e. which tests are most likely to fail after a code change)
 - which areas of the code should be better tested? (complexity/size and
missing coverage)

I think we may be able to get a Solaris zone to perform one or more of
these tasks.
The first step would involve at least the following steps:
 1) Obtain a Solaris zone.
 2) Agree on who should have access to the zone (PMC chair will be the
initial owner).
 3) Initial configuration of the zone (software, users, etc).
 4) Describe and implement the automation task for building and
publishing the manuals.
 5) Figure out the usage restrictions on the zone (if any).

I volunteer to investigate this and hopefully get a zone created.
Before I take this to the PMC and/or infra, I'd like some feedback from
the community.
Is this something that will add value to the project?

Regards,
--
Kristian

[1] You can find some screenshots here if you are interested:
http://www.atlassian.com/software/clover/screenshots/