db-derby-dev mailing list archives

From Rick Hillegas <Richard.Hille...@Sun.COM>
Subject Re: SQL Authorization for dblook: Progress Update
Date Mon, 01 Jun 2009 13:58:45 GMT
Dag H. Wanvik wrote:
> Hiranya Jayathilaka <hiranya911@gmail.com> writes:
>>> A table can depend on a function. This is because the table could have a
>>> generated column whose generation clause invokes a user-defined function.
>> Do we capture these dependencies in the system tables? Can I get the
>> information regarding these dependencies by referring the SYSDEPENDS table
>> or some other system table?
> I should think so.. Can you answer this one, Rick? Also, a CHECK
> constraint may depend on functions, and this is recorded in
> Dag
Right. These dependencies (tables and constraints depending on
functions) are tracked by SYSDEPENDS. If you approach the problem by
tackling one level at a time (first recreate functions, then tables,
then constraints), you won't have to worry about the SYSDEPENDS tuples
which link the levels together. What you will need from SYSDEPENDS are
the dependencies within a given level. E.g., the dependency of a foreign
key constraint on a primary key constraint.

Hope this helps,

View raw message