db-derby-dev mailing list archives

From Dag.Wan...@Sun.COM (Dag H. Wanvik)
Subject Re: 10.5.2 Maintenance release planning
Date Tue, 19 May 2009 00:08:15 GMT
Knut Anders Hatlen <Knut.Hatlen@Sun.COM> writes:

> Kathey Marsden <kmarsdenderby@sbcglobal.net> writes:
>
>> Now that everyone has started to catch their breath from 10.5.1.1,  I
>> think that it would be good to start planning for a 10.5 maintenance
>> release.  I think a good target date would be Monday, July 27, with
>> release candidate two weeks before.  This would give enough time to
>> get initial feedback from 10.5.1.1 and hopefully address any serious
>> issues as well as fix a number of other bugs.  I am willing to manage
>> the release.

In deed, thanks, Kathey!

I have started looking a bit at our outstanding open bugs with a view
to doing some bug fixing, and fiddling with the VTI(*) tool described
in "Wiki: HowToRunJiraVTIReports" to try to understand categories and
distributions.

I have seen that you have recently (again, thanks!!) been going over
older bugs and am interested in your your status on that work.

I am also interested to learn what people see as the most common
problems are with the current issue data base including our system of
categories and flags, including but not limited to:

- unreproducable or stale issues

- category vs flag movement of some information (e.g. newcomer), is
  there a backlog of such issues we could all help move forward?
  When all are converted we should remove unneeded components.

- what categories/flags seem/are hard to use correctly? E.g. what
  constitutes a "crash"? (JVM stops, Derby server becomes unavailable,
  replications stops etc..) Would it be useful to try to tighten
  definitions up?

I notice the document "The business of filing apache derby issues in
Jira" is a bit dated (it's also in pdf, I think if would be preferable
to have it moved to html for quicker access). On the other hand, our
wiki page "Tips for filing Apache Derby Bugs" is a bit on the brief
side..  Should we try to update our docs in this area to get better
quality filing?

It could, perhaps, be useful to have separate, simplified docs for
users, so developers docs could be more exhaustive and authoritative?

Would it be helpful to try to coordinate our work wrt triaging the
existing bugs in any way? Could a Wiki page be helpful?

(*) Btw, the current VTI tools needs some more "intelligence" for
handling the flags correctly, I think (I tried to add columns for
"customfieldvalues" to VTIs.java in the @XMLRow tag for
apacheVanillaJiraReport, but there are many such in the XML output by
JIRA so some work would be needed in parsing these to allow better
queries.

It seems we ca 450 open code bugs, it would be nice if we could try to
get that down a bit before we make an update release for 10.5!! :)

Ok, enough questions, I just wanted to get a little discussion around
the state of our bug database before we dive into it again :)

Thanks,
Dag