db-derby-dev mailing list archives

From Rick Hillegas <Richard.Hille...@Sun.COM>
Subject Triaging bugs, was: IRC meeting for bug review and High Value Fix list
Date Thu, 21 May 2009 19:44:19 GMT
Hi Kathey,

Thanks for all of the time which you have spent cleaning up the bug
reports recently. Let me give my $0.02:

1) I'm not sure what kind of prep can be expected before this meeting.
In the time between now and that meeting, the Sun engineers are going to
be busy at Java and Community One.

2) We have a lot of fields on our JIRA reports. The following three
fields confuse me because I don't see any consistent pattern to what
they mean. Their contents seem to be subjective. Because they are
subjective, they don't give me much guidance in selecting bugs which
should be fixed:

Priority
Urgency
High Value Fix

3) The following fields could have rigorous meaning and would be useful
to me in choosing bugs. But they have limited value right now because
people don't always remember to fill them in. It might be worthwhile to
spend a day or two agreeing on what these fields mean:

Crash
Data corruption
Deviation from standard
Performance
Security
Wrong query result
Regression

4) In addition, I am influenced by the number of Votes which a bug has
received.

5) Before calling a meeting, I would like us to triage the 355 or so
open bugs. That is, I would like us to make sure that we have filled in
the fields listed above in item (3). This is a job which we could divide
up among all of the willing engineers on this list. We could coordinate
via email or a wiki page. I would certainly be willing to triage a block
of 50 bugs--I would probably be dismayed by the prospect of having to
triage all 355 bugs by myself.

If we then ask the users to vote on the triaged bugs, I think that I
will have all the information I need in order to focus my attention
during the 10.5.2 bug-fixing phase. I'm not sure what I can contribute
to this meeting if the bugs have not been triaged first. I'm also not
sure what additional guidance this meeting can contribute once the bugs
have been triaged and the users have voted.

Just my thoughts.

Thanks,
-Rick