db-derby-dev mailing list archives

From Rick Hillegas <Richard.Hille...@Sun.COM>
Subject Re: Ant OR Maven
Date Tue, 19 May 2009 13:25:40 GMT
Ravinder Reddy wrote:
> Hi,
>
> When I check-out the trunk source , I noticed a maven folder in the
> home directory.
> I know maven as a java build tool , similar to Ant.(alternative to Ant).
> Currently we build Derby using Ant. Are we going to build derby using
> maven in future.?
> What's the maven folder here for ?
>
> Thank you
>
> --
> Ravinder Reddy

Hi Ravinder,

Switching from Ant to Maven would be a big job. It seems to me that the
major advantage of Maven is that lets you declare the external software
which your build depends on. We have simplified the build so that not
much is missing from our source tree now.

We do use Maven to publish our release distributions to the Apache
repositories at the end of a release cycle. That's the only use of Maven
by our build tools which I'm aware of.

Regards,
-Rick