db-derby-dev mailing list archives

From Rick Hillegas <Richard.Hille...@Sun.COM>
Subject Re: extra column in DatabaseMetaData.getColumns() with group by in view
Date Thu, 14 May 2009 19:17:23 GMT
Bryan Pendleton wrote:
>> This sounds very familiar so I was wondering if there is already an
>> issue filed.  The closest thing I could find was
>> https://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/DERBY-3141
>
> Also might have some similarities with DERBY-3997.
>
> thanks,
>
> bryan

I have pushed the view definition around a little. In order to reproduce
the problem I needed both the expression in the SELECT list (data2 + 2)
and the GROUP BY clause. Note that a query against the view returns the
correct number of columns, it is only the metadata which is wrong. The
following simpler script demonstrates the problem:

drop view v;
drop table a;

create table A (data2 integer);
create view V (num) as select data2 + 2 from A group by data2;

-- returns only 1 column, as expected
select * from v;

-- reports that v has 2 columns, which is not true
--
-- here we use the metadata vtis from DBMDWrapper, attached to
select column_name

Regards,
-Rick