db-derby-dev mailing list archives

From Kim Haase <Camilla.Ha...@Sun.COM>
Subject Re: What is the syntax for cross-manual references in the docs?
Date Mon, 11 May 2009 14:33:03 GMT
Hi, Bryan,

We use <xref> for cross-references within a manual, but for
cross-references between manuals we just say

   See "section title" in Book Title.

Or something like that -- to make it as clear as possible where to look.

The problem is that <xref> tags that refer to other books appear to work
okay in the HTML pages versions of the books -- but what happens is that
the linked-to topic appears in the right frame, but the left frame still
contains the TOC of the book from which the link was made -- very
disorienting. And the links don't work at all in the PDF versions or the
one-page HTML versions -- they appear to be active, but they don't go
anywhere.

This is a longstanding issue with the manuals for which there appears to
be no solution.

Kim